"Caunītes" – country house for Latvian traditions, where it is possible to spend time in Latvian environment and in accordance with the seasonal rhythm and processes in the nature.
The central place of the barn is the wood-fired bread oven in which everyone can bake his/her own loaf of sweet-and-sour bread.
Every visit of "Caunītes" is planned in advance basing on topics selected for the visit.
So far, most guests as the basic theme of the visit chooses making and baking of their own loaf of sweet-and-sour bread.
Duration of one such kind basic program is 4 hours and during it along the baking of bread it is possible:
- to hear a story in short about the house's history and Latvian seasonal rhythm
- to grind grains in hand mill
- to try weaving of specific “rags’ blanket” on looms
- to embroider Latvian signs on tables especially designated for that
- to sing a song on accompaniment of kokle (Latvian folk instrument) or to pass a Latvian play (optional)
- to play in the playground
- to play wooden board games, to create a "snake" from wooden blocks, etc.
You can choose as well other programs too - as a central theme of the visit or as an additional topic to the baking of bread. That should be agreed individually.
Featured themes usually are related to the Latvian annual rhythm and specific season:
- celebrations along the Latvian annual seasons: narration, beliefs, games, songs and pranks specific for the respective celebration, e.g., for the Great day - egg painting, rolling, swinging in swings, mintage of braids, birds’ rushing, etc.,
- birds’ theme, preparation of birds’ masks (spring),
- types of cereals, tools, trying the threshing flail, sewing of grain dolls (autumn),
- making of puzurs – Latvian traditional home decorations (autumn/winter),
- masks, their meanings and masking (winter),
- Latvian folk tales, listening and telling at candlelight, with the opportunity to play some tales, like "Abru taisītājs" – “Maker of dough troughs” (winter),
- making of beeswax candles (winter),
- gingerbread making, decorating and baking in the bread oven (winter),
- water-pretzels cooking and baking in the bread oven,
- learning of Latvian dances and plays
- preparation of decoration from natural materials, and other themes.
Costs of one 4-hour Basic Programme are matched to each specific visit separately, taking into account the themes chosen and/or additional subjects, as well as the number of visitors. Costs of each additional hour after the end of the 4 hours Basic Program is 20 EUR per hour